Monday, April 7, 2008

Real life begins....


From birth Luke somehow learned to be bossy. He expected to be attached to the breast at all times- I was after all the 24/7 buffet that had nothing else to do but feed him. When he would fall asleep nursing he would detach and his head would fall to the opposite side but then he would, with eyes still closed, reach his hand over and lay it on my breast to make sure it was still there...just in case. There is something about knowing this is your last baby that makes you hold on a little tighter and tolerate a little more. I loved to watch him as he slept in my arms until that became the only place he would sleep, knowing that my adoration was going to ruin him and the family's desire for clean underwear soon made me overcome my facination. He was a fussy guy until we realized that he could not handle my milk - which wasn't until he was about 4 months old. We switched him to Nutramigen and he became the sweetest baby in the world. Until you put him down... there was no rest for the weary or my kids either. His siblings became his best buddies, I don't think my husband and i would have survived without them and my mother.
Over the next year Luke and I got to spend a lot of time traveling to the Children's Hospital that was an hour and a half away. Being navigationally challenged this was always an adventure, in fact my husband was telling me how getting the Tom Tom has removed so much amusement from his life, because I would call him and say, "Where am I?". By the time Luke was 6 months old i had the trip memorized..... mostly. My employers became impatient with my continual need for time off for Luke's multiple appts. Being a Christian School they were patient and waitied while we worked things out - or i should say, God worked things out. I was carrying the insurance and we were still pressing the state for Medicade for Luke, there was no way we could go without it. My husband's employer finally not only kicked in for his entire insurance bill, he also gave him a raise and a truck. I came home and took care of my baby boy.

Because I can't have anything be simple, and because we could no longer afford to keep all 3 of our kids in private school, I brought my 2nd grader home with me and we homeschooled. The bond that was formed between Tristin and Luke in that year has made Tristin, Luke's unequvical favorite - which Tristin does not always appreciate - But Luke ignores reactions that don't suit him so he doesn't mind.
The hospital, with my permission, got Luke signed up for Child Watch an state organization that has been life changing for Luke. With Child Watch we got an angel named Meri Jo, she was a tireless defender for Luke and made sure that every program that was available, he got. She got Easter Seals and the Deaf/ Blind program to come out to my home and begin working with Luke 3 x a week beginning when he was 6 months old. The early start with Educational Therapy, Physical therapy, Speech Therapy, and Deaf/ Blind Therapies were so instrumental in Luke's progress i shutter to think where he wouldn't be without them. Meri Jo also made sure that before he aged out of her program that our school district - that has been a stickler in other cases but was agreeable for us - allowed and paid for Luke to attend a school in the neighboring disctrict that is set up with a 50/50 program that has special needs kids in the same classroom with typical peers (50/50 ratio) and all the therapies that Luke would need in one building. Miss Sarah, of the deaf/blind program, and her band of joyful para's came into Luke's life at 6 mo or so and works through the school where has attended just before he turned 3 has been another one of God's many blessings in his life. She has picked up where Meri Jo left off and makes sure that Luke gets every advantage available to him at the same time lovingly not tolerating his mess. Luke has had so many great people, teachers, and friends - he is a blessed little boy! Ok - Laundry needs to be started, bills paid, floors mopped and bathrooms cleaned not to mention that I haven't had my shower yet and I am not smelling too good either.

Bye for now!

No comments: